Gerry Ryan is a Vancouver based Arranger and Composer who has been producing and arranging music for the Vancouver Men’s Chorus (VMC) theater productions since 2013.
He originally hails from Ireland where he studied music through the following:
- Piano forte through the Royal Irish Academy of Music
- Basic rudiments of orchestration with the Kerry School of Music
- Choral singing, technique and performance with the Kerry Choral Union
- Celtic piano, singing, piano accordion, percussion and theater with the Kerry branch of Comhaltas Ceoltoiri Eireann (National Celtic Arts organisation)
Gerry moved to the UK in 1988 and was heavily involved with, performed, toured and musically directed pop bands throughout the country. His bands worked on and recorded pre-production demos for and with Polydor and Gut Records, London. The band also worked at Steelworks Studios with Elliott Kennedy, producer and home to the Spice Girls, Take That and many more.
In 2001, he returned to music college and completed an honors degree in music production at the Leeds College of Music/Leeds University, UK. During that time he launched his own production house, LaDeDa Productions, and went on to record, produce and direct a variety of projects for clients in TV, Radio, Multimedia, Festivals and Theater including the following:
- BBC Leeds, UK
- Pyramix Studios for the Cairo International Song/Music Festival, Egypt
- Wigwam TV Manchester, UK
- The City of Leeds for the Queen’s Jubilee Baton Lighting Concert, UK
- Forever Broadcasting Radio Corporation, Pennsylvania, USA
- Tralee Stage School at Siamsa Tire, The National Folk Theater of Ireland
Gerry moved to Vancouver with his partner in 2008 and shortly after signed a publishing deal with Northstar Music Publishing, London. He was introduced to the Vancouver Men’s Chorus in 2011 through their musical director, Willi Zwozdesky of Rhythmic Trident Music Publishing, and Dr. Stephen Smith, resident accompanist. He successfully arranged his first piece for the choir in 2013 and the rest is history.
He is also a choral member and has performed with the chorus in their many stage shows. His work has been performed at GALA International Choral Festival, Denver Colorado USA 2016, and will be featured at Unison National Choral Festival, Calgary, Podium (Choral Canada) National Festival, St Johns, Newfoundland, VMC 8 date theater production, Gays of our Lives, and Vancouver Pride Parade in 2018.
For more information on arrangement and composition services: